Seun Kuti Nicknamed Senior Marshall By Cell Mates, Not General Overseer – Lawyer

Seun Kuti Nicknamed Senior Marshall By Cell Mates, Not General Overseer – Lawyer

Afrobeat singer, Seun Kuti, has been nicknamed senior marshall by his cellmates in police custody, not general overseer as reported by the media, the singer’s lawyer said on Saturday.

Reports circulating over the weekend said Seun, who was reportedly seen with a Bible, had been crowned general overseer by cellmates, meaning that he was also leading them in prayers.

But his counsel, Adesina Ogunlana, who visited him on Saturday alongside another lawyer and human rights activist, Ayo Ademiluyi, debunked the reports.

Mr Ogunlana said in a post via his Facebook account, after visiting Seun at the State Criminal Investigation Department in Lagos, that the singer thrilled cellmates and policemen with a free show.

“With Ayo Ademiluyi Esq this evening, after a visit to detained Seun Kuti. SK was in fine mettle and well treated in the IPO office at the SCID, Muslim Smith Street, Alagomeji, Lagos,” Ogunlana wrote.

According to him, delighted upon the visit, “the lively chap (Seun) was in his element surrounded by his doting wife and two close, devoted female relatives.”

“Contrary to reports that he had become ‘General Overseer’ in detention, he told us that his rank is SENIOR MARSHALL and that he has held a free show for the inmates, even thrilling the officers on duty!” Ogunlana added.

Seun, who was seen in a video that went viral on May 13, slapping a police officer, on the Third Mainland Bridge, turned himself in at the Ikeja Police Station in Lagos on May 15, after the Inspector General of Police, Usman Baba, ordered his arrest.

The son of late Afrobeat singer and activist, Fela-Anikulapo Kuti, was arraigned at the Magistrates’ Court in the Yaba area of the state for assaulting a police officer.

Magistrate Adeola Olatunbosun who presided over the matter on May 16, earlier remanded Seun in police custody for 48 hours for the police to complete their investigation.

However, upon the expiration of the 48 hours, the police sought to detain him for another four days to further their investigation, an application that was also granted by the court on Thursday, May 18.

Share This


Wordpress (0)
Disqus (0 )
%d bloggers like this: