Jobs/Vacancies: Senior Officer, Disaster Law At The International Federation Of Red Cross And Red Crescent Societies (IFRC)
Job Number: S01471
Location: West Africa Country Cluster, Abuja
Contract Type: Employee
Duration: 6 months
Grade: Not applicable
The purpose of this position is to support the management and implementation of the IFRC’s work on disaster law in the Africa Region in accordance with the Agenda for Renewal and the IFRC Disaster Law Operational Plan.
This position will also support the Disaster Law Coordinator for Africa in his/her activities in Advocacy, Training and Research.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the implementation of the Disaster Law in line with the organisational strategy and the operational plan.
- Support National Societies in understanding and developing legal advocacy strategies and the implementation thereof in the field of Disaster Law.
- Undertake capacity building of National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies on legal issues in disaster response through the conduct of trainings and workshops on disaster law and legislative advocacy.
- Provide technical assistance on strengthening disaster law through National Societies to relevant authorities, through the implementation of country-level technical support projects.
- Support National Societies in developing advocacy strategies, to support legislative advocacy processes.
- Conduct periodic National Society project monitoring and evaluation on the scope and deliverables of the project
- Support the development and implementation of regional advocacy and dissemination strategies on disaster law activities.
- Promote improved understanding on the need for disaster law through social media engagement
- Support in the development, evaluation and piloting of Global Disaster Law Programme tools
- Support in advocacy efforts on Programme Resolution and tools to be presented at the International Conference and other international fora
- Engaging with International Organisations and RECs to develop strategy for sustainable and consistent engagement with National Societies, government agencies and regional organisations
- Ensuring proper budget monitoring and efficient utilization of donor funds
- Support in continued donor engagement globally through development of proposals, provision of updated status of implementation as well as timely reporting
- Support in the conduct of global and regional research as required, through collating information on national society, government and UN agencies policies pertaining to relevant issues under research
- Contribute to the development of DL Global strategy, action plan and activities plan and priorities annually
Bachelor of Laws
Advanced Degree (Masters or equivalent) in Law, International Relations, International Development, International Affairs, Political Science or related fields
- At least 5 years of legal work experience in a related area is required
- At least 3 years of experience in project management is required
- At least 3 years of experience in advocacy is preferred
- Experience in legal/academic writing and drafting is required
- Experience in providing technical assistance in the development of legislation, including in developing countries is preferred
- Experience within the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Language:
- Sound knowledge and understanding of international and national law and policy-making processes is required
- Good understanding of disaster preparedness and management concepts is preferred
- Good understanding of the global humanitarian system is preferred
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written is required
Competencies and Values
- National Society Relations
- Results Focus & Accountability
- Professional Mastery
- Managerial Effectiveness
Click Here to apply.